Useful Data Communication Tools
Here are some Quick tools to improve how you communicate your M&E findings
Data visualization has become very useful to improve how one conveys findings in a manner that is easily understood and useful to the 'consumer' - i.e. the evaluation commissioner or program team.As evaluators, it is important to explore how to build this skill.
Below are ways to build skills in data viz and communication, and resources which you can access.
1. Experiment with new but simple ways to improve how you visualize your data.
- Use this Data Viz Crib Notes to select the appropriate data presentations for what you are trying to convey.
2. Read the many books on data viz concepts, approaches and theory.
Here are 3 must reads to get you started:
- The Functional Art - Alberto Ciaro
- Information Dashboard Design - Stephen Few
- Storytelling with data - Cole Nussbaumer Knaflic
3. Watch short video lessons or search quick video hints to help improve the report you are working on.
- Ann K. Emery's YouTube channel is packed with various practical video clips for creating different Excel charts
Adapted from: "How do I build my data communication skills?". T Mazonde and J Govender. (2018). Blog: https://thedatainnovator.com/2018/05/21/how-do-i-build-my-data-communication-skills/