Southern Hemisphere: Social Development - Researcher / Evaluator
Southern Hemisphere is a leading, dynamic, socio-economic development consultancy based in Cape Town. We specialize in participatory development interventions with a focus on building learning organisations. We assist the State, NGOs, academic institutions, civil society organisations, foundations, CSIs, multi-lateral organisations and donors through the following portfolios: Applied Social Research and Evaluations; Programme Design, Planning, Monitoring and Evaluation; Capacity Building; and Organisational Strategy.
Researcher / Evaluator: Social Development: The person will be responsible for conducting research and evaluations, supporting facilitation and capacity building processes and should have strong project co-ordination and management skills. They would also be required to participate in all internal organisational development initiatives. This junior researcher position is for a Cape Town based person and is ideally suited for a young person who would like to enter into the monitoring and evaluation sector. Please note that this is a salaried position.
- Master’s Degree in Evaluation, Social Sciences or related field;
- Have at least 2 years and a maximum of 4 years’ experience working in the social development or related sector;
- Flexibility to adapt to new situations that arise when working in a small, dynamic consultancy;
- A self-motivator, with the ability to assume responsibility and work under own initiative, coping with a demanding workload and prioritising effectively;
- Strong writing and editing skills, and communicating in a visual way – using plain English to write and edit reports
- Strong coordination skills
- Some experience in monitoring, evaluation and learning would be an added advantage.
Contract and working hours
- The position would be full-time (Monday- Friday 9am-5pm or 8am-4pm).
- There may be need, upon occasion, to schedule work which fall out-with of these normal hours.
- The salary range is market related for an entry level position.
- We also provide opportunities for professional development and on-the-job mentoring and support for all team members.
Application timelines, interviews, starting date
- Application for role - Deadline is Friday, 11 December at 12h00
- Shortlisting candidates - 14 December
- Shortlisted candidates requested to submit sample of work and references - 5 December
- Interviews - 17-18 December
- Starting date - 11 January 2021
How to apply
Please email us your CV together with a letter of motivation by Friday, 11 December 2020 to [email protected]