Save The Children : Endline Evaluation of the Happy Living and Learning Project
Save the Children South Africa (SCSA) secured funding from our partner, Save the Children Italy, to introduce a holistic Early Childhood Development project in selected communities in Mpumalanga, Gauteng and KwaZulu-Natal over a two (2) year period. The project, which started in February 2018, has enabled SCSA to for the first time comprehensively address child development needs in these communities focusing on children’s rights in the context of Education, Health & Nutrition and Child Protection.
The target populations of the grant are children, ECD Practitioners and parents/caregivers in Gauteng (Ekurhuleni and City of Johannesburg), KwaZulu-Natal (uGu District Municipality – across 4 Municipalities) and Mpumalanga (Gert Sibande District – in Albert Luthuli Local Municipality). The project is being implemented in 46 community-based ECD centres, 30 home-based ECD centres. We have directly reached 3809 children, 160 ECD practitioners, 828 parents/caregivers, 54 stakeholders; and indirectly reached 10680 children, 106 ECD practitioners, and 1018900 adults. New centre buildings were constructed for 9 community-based ECD centres, and infrastructure renovations have been done in 7 community-based ECD centres.
SCSA is in need of a consultant that can provide services in documenting, reviewing and evaluating the Happy Living and Learning project.
Purpose of the consultancy:
The purpose of this consultancy is to document, review and evaluate the Happy Living and Learning Project. 4. Scope of work:
- Document the project interventions and their implementation;
- Assess the relevance and effectiveness of the intervention approaches;
- Assess the quality of implementation of the intervention approaches;
- To gather feedback from beneficiaries and project staff that could demonstrate impact;
- To identify lessons learnt in the implementation of the project;
- Identify good practice and poor practice in the project design and implementation; and
- Make recommendations to Save the Children South Africa for future integrated programming in both the geographical (at provincial, district or community level) and content areas (in terms of the Health and Nutrition, Education and Child Protection themes).
Timeline Start date:
25 November 2019. End date: 18 February 2020.
Required Expertise and Experience
The consultancy should possess the following expertise and skills as a minimum: Experience in designing and delivering high quality evaluations; Good analytical and writing skills; Extensive experience in working in the ECD sector in South Africa, including experience in conducting evaluations on development work in the sector; Ability to deliver quality work within the specified timelines; Experience in conducting and analysing qualitative data collection. The lead consultant(s) should possess a tertiary qualification. While both individual, independent consultants and consultancy teams are welcome to apply, the nature of the review requires extensive time to be spent in the field and on the project over the contract period. It is preferable that the individual responsible for writing the report be intimately involved in the collection and analysis of the qualitative data.
For more information about this opportunity, please click on the above link