Zenex: Evaluation Services for Early Grade Reading Programme
The DBE has been conducting research into the acquisition of reading through the Early Grade Reading Studies and Reading Support Project (RSP), across two provinces since 2015. The EGRS studies aim to provide this evidence in an iterative manner, with each study responding to existing and emerging research questions. Overall, these studies aim to systematically provide evidence on alternative models of teacher support for the teaching of reading.
Scope of Work
- The main research questions the evaluations will be answering using a mixed method approach are:
- What has been the impact of the coaching interventions on learning outcomes for Setswana and EFAL at the end of the first year?
- What has been the impact of each of the two coaching interventions on learning outcomes for Setswana and EFAL at the end of the third year?
- What is the extent to which that core methodologies targeting language instruction were Implemented in classrooms?
- How successful are HODs as coaches compared to external coaches?
- How well have PLCs been functioning and why?
- Experience and expertise in quantitative and qualitative data collection using various instruments in multiple primary schools while providing high-quality data management and quality assurance.
- Preference will be given to providers able to demonstrate capacity and experience with data collection in rural areas of South Africa.
- Expertise in the development of school level/SMT and/or parental background questionnaires.
- Expertise in the development of the necessary online data collection tools to support timeous and accurate data for analysis.
- Experience and expertise in deploying professionally trained enumerators to conduct oral and written reading assessments in the intervention’s languages of Setswana and EFAL with young children.
- Experience and expertise in deploying professionally trained enumerators to conduct structured classroom observations, school questionnaires and teacher/SMT interviews in the language requirements of the study.
- Willingness and availability to work closely with the Project Management Team to ensure seamless data collection.
- The successful bidders proposal will be submitted to the Zenex Board for approval in February 2021.
- The implementation plan, deliverables as well as the nature timing of reports and other required data/information will be finalized before the signing of the contract.
- The contract will be subject to performance reviews by the EGRP PMT and Zenex Foundation, who may discontinue the contract at any time based on substandard performance or non-delivery.
- The Service Provider commits to abiding by all Zenex Foundation policies and regulations. Zenex foundation will make payments within 30 days of receipt of the invoices based on approved deliverables.
- The introduction the total budget for the evaluation should not exceed R6,5 million.
How to apply
- Queries and Proposals must be emailed to: Ms Nompumelelo Nkabinde [email protected]
- Please see attached ToR for further information.