JET Education Services Anglo American Education South Africa (AASA) Education Programme Data Manager
JET Education Services seeks to recruit a Data Manager for the Anglo American South Africa Education Programme
The incumbent will be responsible for managing and guiding the data requirements and needs for the JET/AASA Education Programme. The incumbent must have all technical requirements to manage, collect and analyse big quantitative and qualitative data sets across various software packages, for all reporting requirements. The successful candidate must develop and maintain, with the JET management team, a (centralised?) database system for the programme needs; develop relevant instruments and surveys, processes and protocols to improve data processing; conduct analysis and be responsible for the dissemination and use for the Programme and its Implementing partners. Must provide linked and sophisticated time-series analysis on change/progress and work closely with the Programme Manager and M&E Manager to optimise implementation dosage to improve the educational outcomes of the AASA Education target schools and ECD sites.
Formal Education: Masters in Education Research, Statistics, Data Science or a relevant data-driven field of study.
Experience: Minimum of 5 - 8 years experience in a similar environment with at least 3 years at a senior management level. Must be proficient with Stata/SPSS or any other mainstream statistical system. (if qualitative data applicable - we should include the Atlas.ti qualitative software package ...).
Skills: Excellent data vetting, analytical and report writing skills, ability to work under pressure, results oriented, good interpersonal skills, deadline driven, problem solving ability, conflict resolution, good verbal and written communication skills, customer relations, project management skills, team and people management
Knowledge of: A good understanding of data including big data (systems, development and use, etc.), the education sector and evidence-based policy making and implementation, M&E systems and it will be advantageous to be have worked in a mixed-methods research environment/project previously.
Attributes: Ethical, attention to detail, diligent, self-motivated, honesty and integrity, leadership qualities and professional.
An employee in this position works as per normal office environment. Travelling within the Gauteng province with occasional travel to other provinces - Limpopo, North West and Northern Cape provinces.
● A valid and unendorsed driver’s license.
TASKS OR KEY PERFORMANCE AREAS
1. Reporting and Development
· Input into and implement the annual data management plan for the unit and Programme
· Quarterly and annual report on the implementation of the AASA annual plan (Steering Committee, Local Management Committees, report to Anglo American SA Business Units as required)
2. Project Implementation and Management
- Leads and manages the data management team to meet their objectives (the objectives of the unit and Programme in relation to the AASA ...?).
- Responsible for at least three (3) data analysts.
- Working with a diverse set of Implementation partners/service providers, provincial staff and internal JET staff dedicated to the AASA Education Programme (Programme manager (PM), M&E manager and officer, etc.).
- Develops data management (collection, templates, cleaning, training, etc.) strategies, instruments, and protocols to conduct observations, interviews and focus groups within a given project including administering surveys, and collecting and analyzing data.
- Be responsible for quality assurance and quality control.
- Produces project costing (budgets) and financial management as required and linked to data management strategies and planning.
- Identifies, reviews, analyses and summarises complex quantitative and qualitative data with a high level of numerical and statistical ability.
- Maintains a comprehensive and up to date knowledge of developments in policy and practice in relation to research, evaluation, protection of personal information and education in general.
- Identifies possible risks and any mitigating strategies on how to deal with identified risk/s.
Data Collection, Analysis and Reporting
- Collects, analyse, synthesise and reports data regarding evaluation, research or testing programme as required under the AASA programme.
- Interprets report findings and makes strategic, as well as context-specific recommendations to the programme management team, implementing partners and client as requested.
- Assists in the evaluation of components of work on a regular basis and assesses effectiveness through data analysis and review for strategic influence and to develop recommendations with the PM.
- Provide advice on sound research analytic methodologies to a team of researchers and clients.
- Provide advice on data capture, data interpretation and information to underpin educational issues.
- Uses a variety of databases and other resources, collects, compiles, and reports statistics, demographic information and related data to meet project information needs.
- Participates in the identification of samples using appropriate sampling techniques.
- Execution of appropriate statistical procedures to direct research studies and reporting of research studies using basic to advanced skills in statistics and database management.
- Data mining – use previous data sets and reanalyze to inform planning, sampling and proposal development.
- Monitor relevant external research and disseminate key findings internally and externally.
- Prepares and presents research and evaluation reports and related documents associated with the development, management, documentation and evaluation of services and programmes.
- Conducts literature reviews (including benchmark research) to support the incorporation of evidence-based practice into the research or evaluation report.
- Presentation of findings to internal / external clients.
- Ensure the data management systems, analysis and report adheres to national legislation (i.e., Protection of Personal Information Act, No. 4 of 2013 (POPI Act)); Promotion of Access to Information Act, No. 2 of 2000, etc.), as well as international frameworks - such as, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
- Disseminate papers, monographs, articles, bulletins as per the organisation’s publication policy as well as seminars and conferences if required.
3. Line Management of Staff
· Ensure that each staff member within the section has a reasonable workload
· Monitor staff’s performance regularly
· Put remedial steps and development plans in place where appropriate
· Record the above within JET’s performance management system
· Development of staff
All shortlisted candidates will be subjected to independent relevant reference checks as required.