The Covid-19 National State of Disaster has severe implications for many sectors of life. The situation challenges actors across the whole South African society to deliver a nimble and coordinated response, informed by evidence. M&E practitioners will be called upon to bring our professional knowledge to bear. For the education sector, Covid-19 is creating major disruptions, and perhaps a few opportunities for change.
The Department of Education, together with Donors and NGOs that work in the education sector, are developing various solutions to make up for lost tuition time. Monitoring and Evaluation should ensure that the initiatives are well-designed and effective, and should look out for the emergence of any unintended negative consequences. Therefore SAMEA is convening a Topical Interest Group (TIG) for those working in the field of education, who are interested in cooperating around Covid-19 and Education in South Africa.
The meeting will decide on priority actions for the TIG. Some of these may be:
- Create an email list for members to share ideas
- Create a regular webinar space for discussion
- Advocating for evaluation in COVID-response through publications Explore partnerships with key organizations to find solutions to the evaluation challenge.
The launch meeting will be on Zoom on 14 May 2020, 14:00-15:00. Click Here (EduCOVID TIG) to access the Launch meeting Zoom link.
- For questions about the EduCOVID TIG, please contact the EduCOVID TIG Convenor, Benita Williams, [email protected]
- For administrative questions and to RSVP, please contact SAMEA Administrator, Marla Naidoo, [email protected]
- SAMEA welcomes members to volunteer to lead a TIG. Please contact Board Member Cara Hartley [email protected] if you have suggestions.